Many times Chrome browser stops opening specific domains without prior intimation. It never opens all the domains that you attempt to open. There are several domains which it fails to open and promptly give you an error message ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED Error. This is the type of error which appears when the browser fails to load or open any domain. With this error, you will not be able to find out the prime problem why it refused to open it.
In order to fix this error on your Chrome browser, you are required to either use a VPN or simply do the little cleaning. we explain below how to fix ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED Error on your chrome browser.
How to Fix ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED Error:
1. Clear the Browser Cache
At times, the expired cache on your Chrome Browser causes the problem and blocks certain websites from opening, This can also be the issue when opening certain websites and to fix the ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED Error for those websites you need to remove all the cache from the browser.
- Copy and paste chrome://settings/clearBrowserData on the address bar of the browser and hit the enter bar
- Select the option from the list “Cookies and Other Sites and Plugin Data” and Cached Images and Files”
- Finally scroll down and click on “Clear Browsing Data” and you are done with the process for clearing the cached data from the browser
2. Checking the Proxy Server Settings
In many cases, the proxy servers usually don’t work and they have restricted online times and then offline. Sometimes you might have used the proxy servers and forgot to remove it from the internet options. So, when the proxy server is not available you will not be able to connect to the internet and hence you will not be able to open the website.
In such case, you are required to open and check the Proxy Server settings again and ensure that system is not configured to use the proxy servers
- Go to the Control Panel and click on Internet Options
- Now click on “Connections” and select LAN settings and click on Next
- Ensure that the Proxy Server option is unchecked.
3. Disable Antivirus or Firewall Software
In many cases, it is noticed that the built-in firewall and antivirus software also hinders the websites from loading and you are unable to access your favorite site. If none of the above mentioned methods work then simply disable the built-in firewall and antivirus software installed or security programs on your system.
Firstly, you need to disable the built-in Windows Firewall
- Go to the Control Panel
- Click on Windows Firewall Options
- Click on “Turn Windows Firewall ON” and click on “Apply” button below
4. Reset the IP Address and Clear the DNS Cache
If none of the above methods work for you to fix the ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED Error, then you have to reset the IP address and clear the DNS Cache manually. There are few simple steps which you need to follow in order to reset the IP address and clear the DNS Cache. Go to the Command Prompt windows and run it Administrator
- Click on the “Start” button and type cmd.exe on the Run dialog box
- Now right click on cmd.exe and start “Run as Administrator” and click on “Yes”
- Now type “netsh winsock reset catalog” and hit enter
- Again you need to type ipconfig/flushdns and hit the enter bar
- Restart the system once and the issue will disappear
These were some of the tips on How to Fix ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED Error, but it is necessary that you restart the Wi-Fi modem once after you have done all these methods and also restart the system so that the issue can be resolved permanently. In many cases, when the site is down then also you will face such error while trying to open it. So, it is necessary that you ensure that the website is not facing any outage prior to starting troubleshooting the error. You can check by using third-party application. You need to pass the URL of the website which is not loading or opening on the App and checks if the site is down or not. This will give you a clear picture of what needs to be done to restore it.