A screenshot is an image format of the visual output on the screen of the device being used. Basically taking a picture (shot) of the currently opened window (on screen) can be called a screenshot. Often times we require a soft copy of an important page online or on the device. When we do not have the download option, taking the screenshot of that page or window can be the next wisest idea.
Any device with an operating system should have this feature inbuilt. But the ways to access or use this feature varies with operating systems. Windows 10 allows you to take screen snaps in multiple ways depending on your need.
How to Take a Screenshot on Windows 10:
When you want to take a snap of your current screen display, these keys come in handy: The print screen key which can be present with the names as ‘PrtSc’ or ‘PrtScn’. Look for it besides the F12 button on the keyboard. Other than that, the windows logo key, Alt key, Fn key and Ctrl key are used. Capture a Screenshot on Windows 10 A combination of one or more of these keys with the PrtScn can be used to take a screenshot of the whole window or a part of the screen display.
Note: Windows doesn’t notify anyway if the screenshot is successfully taken. It will copy the image taken to the clipboard. The only way to find out is to paste it somewhere like the image editor, MS-word or MS PowerPoint.
Follow Below Steps for Capturing Screen in Windows 10:
Saving a screenshot directly in images
Save a snap by direct method shortcut using the print screen button in the following steps:
- Press the PtrScn key.
- If you are using a tablet then press the windows button with the low volume button.
- Go to Paint or Image editor or any similar document editor.
- Click on paste. The screenshot image is pasted on the drawing board.
- Make any necessary changes to cropping up if you want to.
- Go to files and select Save As.
- Name the file with.Img, .jpeg or .PNG extensions and select where you want to save the file.
- Finally, click ‘OK’
The screenshot gets saved in images. You can now use the image in your documents. Instead of saving the image you can also directly send it by e-mail or take a print out. These options are available in the ‘Files’ itself.
How to Take a Screenshot of a Single Window:
If you have multiple windows opened but you want to capture only one of them, follow these steps:
- Click the window you want to snap on its title bar
- Press Alt + PtrScn keys to copy it to the clipboard
- If you are using a laptop, press Alt + Fn + PrtScn or Alt + Ctrl + PrtScn keys.
- Once the screenshot is copied to the clipboard, the rest of the process is same as the above.
How to Take Screenshot of only a Part of a Screen:
If you don’t need the whole window but only a relevant part of it, you can get your customized screenshot by following these steps:
- Press the Windows + Shift + S keys. You will notice the screen turning all light grey and the mouse cursor changing to plus.
- Select the area on the screen that you want the shot of by pressing and dragging the cursor to your desired amount.
- The selected portion is copied to the clipboard
- Once again the rest of the steps are same as the direct method.
Using the snipping tool
Now that you know the several methods on how to take a screenshot on Windows 10, let’s not forget about the snipping tool. Snipping tool is a special feature of Windows which works same as the above method. It lets you snap a desired portion of the display. Windows 10 has the ‘Delay’ option which allows you to capture along with pop-ups. See the steps to use snipping tool.
- Search snipping tool on Windows search bar
- Select new and choose from the type of snips you want
- Select the region of snap which later is copied to the clipboard
- Rest has the same process.
So this covers all the ways on how to take a screenshot on windows 10. Remember atleast one and you can save time